Sunday, October 26, 2014

International Quilt Market Houston - My 8 hours of fun!


I had a list of booths I wanted to check out going into the Market, but that didn't stop me from discovering new designs and ideas as I wandered the aisles.

Because submitting work for publication is high on my priority list, I high-tailed it to C&Tand F&W publishers. I checked out new releases and visited with some of the sale staff who were very helpful and provided complimentary copies of magazines. 

I discovered Landauer publishing, a company I was unfamiliar with but not anymore! An author, Laurel Albright, and I talked a bit  and I showed her a book of fiber art samples I happened to be carrying around with me. She suggested I submit a proposal. 

As I made my way to all the fabric manufacturers, I observed the designers interacting with the sales staff and quilt store owners.

I met the famous Tim Holtz and for once he wasn't surrounded by a mob. His "Eclectic Elements" designs appeal to me because of the "unique combination of salvaged findings and vintage palette." Tim was kind enough to take a picture with me!


Another talented designer, who came all the way from London to promote her "Hearty Good Wishes" fabric designs for Moda was Janet Clare. She gave me a sample pack of her whimsical prints and also posed for a picture with me. It was a delight chatting with her!



Kaffe Fassett was cross stitching as he sat at a table signing books. I wanted to strike up a conversation with him but he seemed pre-occupied so I didn't want to interrupt him. I did get a signed copy of his new book Quilts of Morocco. I love his designs using vibrant patterns and brilliant colors.




And that's not all! There's more but this blog post is long enough!
No wonder I was exhausted today!!



No comments: