Sunday, October 12, 2014

Inspiration (part 1): Joanna Powell Colbert

I was introduced to tarot cards many years ago while I was a hippie chic in Santa Fe. I had the pleasure of getting a reading from a man named, Edward who was a mediation teacher. Back in 1977 this was all new to me but it started the metaphysical journey that I still travel today.


I've collected many tarot decks and have read a lot about the tarot. I've been known to read for friends, but mostly I find that the cards help me with intuitive guidance.



Many moons ago , I came upon a magazine called "Sage Woman" and discovered artwork by Joanna Powell Colbert. She had a blog and shared the process of illustrating her own tarot deck.



Because of the internet, I have been following Joanna and wished I could someday go to Washington and attend one of the retreats she host. (I still want to do this!). But as luck would have it, or more like magic, Joanna was in Houston and I had the chance to finally meet her as well as 23 other amazing women who share tarot and goddess enchantment. Our workshop was held at the Green Planet Sanctuary, a place I didn't even know existed until yesterday!







What a joy it was to gather with these women, share stories, dance, walk the labyrinth and make Ojo de Diosas.

I came away renewed and inspired. I have been teaching small workshops in the area and this has made me realize that I want to spread my wings and invite more opportunities to meet with other women (and men, too!) who want to explore creativity, illustration techniques, art quilts, art journaling and tarot.

….stay tuned! 



No comments: