Sunday, October 21, 2012

Shabby Chic in Texas

photo taken at The Prairie by ArtL8dY on Oct 3, 2012

Before HGTV, Rachel Ashwell hosted her own design show on E! (from 1999 to 2003).  I would watch the show and follow along with her as she found treasures in flea markets to demonstrate the appeal of time worn objects and the beauty of imperfections. She was the one who started it all with her shabby chic style.

I didn't know this until recently, but in 2009 her company went bankrupt, but she re-organized and has made a come back. (Good for her!) In 2011, The Prairie opened and recently I made a visit there to check it out. It is a wonderful retreat in one of my favorite areas of this great state of Texas. I enjoyed visiting the shop and wandering around the grounds snapping some photos.

There's something about the cozy familiarity of salvaged furniture mixed with vintage fabric. They help me recall the nostalgic mix of memories of my youth sewing on Aunt Pearl's sewing machine when I spent days enjoying just simple practical living. 

The line between trash and treasure can be a fine one. As I wander flea markets and thrift stores these days, I am drawn to the fabric. I've been inspired to stitch on linens, handkerchiefs, and vintage cloths making these banners.


I will be updating my Etsy shop before the holidays.

Coming up in my next blog posts: 2012 Houston Quilt Festival (getting ready!)
post signature

No comments: