Wednesday, July 06, 2005

Going Back to My Hometown


Falls, originally uploaded by e14studio.

The house where I grew up is about 2 miles from the brink of Niagara Falls. It's the same house my Dad lived in all his life. Mom still lives there and I'll be going back to visit her, my sister and nephew, my aunts and cousins this week.

I left Niagara Falls back in 1978. I graduated from the University of Buffalo with a degree in Fine Arts and no job prospects other than waiting on tables. I thought I was going to stay in Texas only 2 weeks when I came to visit my college roomates and meet their newborn baby. Instead, I decided to get an entry level position in graphic design so I could have some experience when I went back to New York state, Ha! That never happened, but I keep going back as often as I can to visit my family and act like a tourist at the Falls.

My favorite time to go to the falls is early in the morning before the crowds show up. I usually walk on Goat Island and visit Three Sisters Island. I like to sit by the water and watch it go rushing and gushing by. It's a magical place and very powerful. If you ever get a chance to go to the Falls, you will be amazed.

I'll be back in about 10 days.

No comments: