Thursday, April 06, 2006

Calzature


calzature, originally uploaded by e14studio.

Anyone who knows me knows I'm not a shopper. If there's something I need, I go get it; I usually don't browse around much. So when we were in Italy, the only thing I really wanted was a pair of shoes. Not just any shoe, not a boutique shoe - I was thinking more like Ferragamos.

As we were nearing the end of our trip, I was beginning to think that I wasn't going to find the kind of shoes I wanted. I saw enough pairs of cowboy boots in Italy to reckon that if I wanted Italian shoes, it certainly wasn't going to be a pair of boots (especially because I live in Texas).

Then the shoe angel blessed me!We were strolling down Via San Spirito in Florence ( a nice avenue for an angel to show up!) when there it was...Calzature. I guess that means shoes because there they were in the window and they looked hand made. There were sandals, shoes and boots of all sorts that were one of a kind and I was jumping up and down! The place was all locked up for the night but I had a mission for the next day's itinery and you can be sure that calzature was on the list!

Mr. Francesco greeted me at the door the very next day. "Speak English?" I asked. And he motioned that he had to go upstairs and get someone. Turns out his son came down to the shop, only spoke a little English, but it was enough to help me find the perfect pair of shoes. Before I left I went in the back to thank Francesco for making my shoes and I asked if I could take his picture. He was the sweetest man. Even though we didn't understand anything we were saying to each other, he must of known how happy he made this wacky American tourist lady from Texas who left the store dancing!

No comments: