Sunday, May 10, 2015

10 day share about self publishing - Day 6


Even though it's called "self" publishing, there's no way you can do it by yourself.

I suggest talking to others who self publish. A co-worker of mine who publishes his photography let me "pick his brain" for information. That's really how I started.

Don't forget to buy the books that others self publish. Look for other artists, photographers or writers who create the type of work you'd like to be doing and order their books. That will provide all kinds of ideas and formats.

Creating alone has it's benefits but collaborating with others adds a whole new dimension to the work. 

As for my 20 page e-digests,  I wanted to publish more than a catalog of my art in print or online. 

The premiere "Reflection and Sparks"  provides an excellent tutorial for anyone teaching or taking an art journaling workshop. (All I ask is that I get credit for the material).

In volume 2,  I invited anyone who wanted to publish a poem or essay to pick one of the art pages as a prompt. They didn't have to be "professional" writers either. The idea is to make publishing accessible to all who want to express themselves. I didn't turn anyone away and didn't edit their work. If I can get more writers to contact me, I will publish a 3rd volume. Interested?


No comments: