Thursday, September 17, 2009

Julie & Julia


This is the longest blog post I've ever written.

I'm reading Julie & Julia now after having seen the movie which I thoroughly enjoyed. I went with my husband and though this may seem very predictable that a married couple go to the movies together…for us, it's not. My husband doesn't like to go to movies as much as I'd like him to take me. He's more of a "stay at home watch it on tv" kinda guy. (I can see why after he spent $4.00 for a bottle of water. But, that's another story.) The reason me & the Mr. saw a movie together was because it was about blogging and cooking. Two things the e14household engages in.

As you already know, I'm the blogger and for those just tuning in, he's the "chef". He went to culinary school and all that. I keep teasing him that he should start a blog or write a book and title it My wife hates to cook. And judging by the popularity of Julie Powell's concept, food and blogging go together as well as art and blogging, if not more so! Anyway, I'll let him handle the food topic and I'll stick to what I know. I say this after having cooked some rice that came out crunchy instead of fluffy.

The book is good, but I liked the movie better. Meryl Streep was re-incarnated Julia Child.

Why this long dissertation? Well, it got me to thinking about my own little corner in cyberspace. I've been showing and telling the goings on from my studio since Jan '05. Truth be told, there is no studio here in e14-ville. I have stuff all over the house for my art projects. I only call it e14 because when there was a real studio (away from my home), it was on E14 Street. But, you already knew that didn't you?

Blogs. My blogs. Back to my essay here. As I read Julie's book, I have to ask: what made her blog such a hit? Granted, there are a lot of people interested in food. I don't happen to be one of them, but like I said, I live with someone who is. Only thing is, he doesn't read blogs. He just watches the Food Network.

Maybe her blog and book and movie grew in popularity because someone read it and said, "Call Meryl Streep, see if she's available!"

It really doesn't matter how it happened. Although I wonder if it could have happened had her name been Sylvia Powell. I doubt if titling the project/book/movieSylvia & Julia gives it the same punch.

For the time being, I'll stay comfortably here in blogville. Popping in every now and then with some creative art project and thinking up self imposed challenges. I'm not just hoping that my blog will get the attention of someone who wants to make me famous, I'd be happy to know that there are more than just a few inspired readers of my blog out there.

Though it would be ideal to be creatively inspiring so others will relate to my work and want to see more of it, the reality is I'm just waking up each day with the thought that art is my therapy.

I'll be here for awhile and I hope you will be too.

Now pass the chicken liver, Don't forget the livers!!!!

4 comments:

Andrea Little said...

crunchy rice eh? lol i used to be like that, but i actually love to cook. good luck in your blog, so if you were to become famous, who would you want to pay you?

girlynetwork said...

Hi Sharon,

Greetings from NYC!

I got your comment on my blog, the girly network, thank you. It does sound like we were on the same Julie & Julia wavelength.

I also dragged my husband to the movie theater...and surprisingly, he laughed at times and overall thought it was ok. That's a compliment coming from a guy that prefers the explosions, guns and special effects on the big screen.

Oh, if I may add...crunchy rice is a delicacy for some people. Dominicans even have a special name for it..."con-con". My mother-in-law makes it on purpose 'cause her kids love it.

Best...your fellow blogger,
Gloria
http://girlynetwork.typepad.com

Nancy said...

I just love reading and writing blogs, so it is no surprise to me that Julie Powell did so well with hers. I too recently dragged my husband to the movie, we both agreed it was charming.

As to the appeal of Julie's blog; have you ever looked through Julia's cookbook? If you had a problem with rice, this book would scare the daylights out of you. Just the thought that someone was brave enough to take on every recipe in that book is blogworthy to me. If I had ever found her, I would have been one of her readers.

As for your blog, love to read it.

Best Wishes, Marie said...

hi, hope you do not mind if i follow your blog. i did love the movie. would rather have seen julie be bolder, like she really is....